Through a generous award from the Wenner-Gren Foundation, as well as funds from the ASA, AAS and ASAANZ, funds are available to allocate to support delegate attendance.
The rules and criteria are set out below:
- ALL applications must be submitted via the online form.
- If you have applied directly through your association (AAS/ANSA or ASAANZ) already, you do NOT need to complete this online application. ASA members and everyone else DO need to apply through this form.
- Applicants should not seek 'double-funding'. Our aim is to support those who have partial funding from another source or no funding at all.
- Requests for funding may cover registration, accommodation, and travel, but NOT membership subscriptions nor the conference banquet dinner.
- Funds from ASA, AAS and ASAANZ are only available for PG students who are members of the respective associations.
- Wenner-Gren funds will be prioritised (in this order) for delegates (1) coming from developing countries (those who are both living/working in and nationals of developing countries); (2) early career researchers (particularly those who are post-PhD but pre-postdoctoral or pre-permanent position); (3) PG students who are not members of any of the 3 associations.
- Those convening a panel or presenting a paper will be favoured.
- Only those earning 2100 AUD or less net income* per month may apply.
- Funding will be prioritised for those paying the full conference fee, rather than day-rate attendees.
- Due to the location of the conference and the long travel distances, it may not be possible to provide full funding to delegates from outside the region. It is likely that funding for those from further afield, if successful, will be capped at a certain amount.
- Demonstration of other partial sources of funds secured by the applicant will be viewed in a positive light.
- Please keep your 'other information' concise. Details about your paper, how important this conference is to your career, etc. are not helpful. Keep to facts regarding alternate sources of funding, how much funding would be helpful to you etc.
- If you make a mistake, please do not resubmit, but email conference(at)shiftingstates.info
- Deadline: 11 September 2017
*‘net income’ means your income after tax, i.e. the amount you receive each month once tax has been deducted, this also refers to PG student funding stipends.
We will endeavour to make and communicate decisions by the 25 September 2017.
Funding will either be allocated as a registration fee waiver in our system, or, if you receive more funding than a fee waiver, remitted to recipients' bank accounts on receipt of electronic receipts for travel and accommodation. If a delegate does not attend the conference for whatever reason (accident, family emergency, visa restriction, etc), they will be expected to return the full sum. If receipts are not submitted, funding is forfeit. These are the conditions accepted in applying for the funds.
The funding call is now closed.